Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ready, Set, Grab Your Mops!

Welcome to the Beer-Nosed Puffer's blog. This is indeed my first blog post EVER. Well, sort of. A few years back I had to post entries in a class blog once a week for a rhetoric class. However, they never amounted to much- mostly just funny news headlines. My hope for these blog posts is that they are a little more meaty that just alerting the world that "Statistics show that teen pregnancy drops off significantly after age 25"

Im starting a new chapter in my teaching endeavors this summer: middle schoolers! The Breakthrough Program has chosen me to teach science to a group of young geniuses from Saint Paul. Through this blog, you will be able to follow my trials and tribulations this summer and beyond. Ill write about the courses, the students and anything else that crosses my mind. Inevitably some cool science-in-the-news posts will pop up as well as other updates in my life, research and my never-ending quest for an iPhone.

So, I hope you all will enjoy my blogging. If you have any comments or wisdom to give me after reading posts, please comment- Ill take any and every piece of advice you can give a young educator. Happy reading!



***A note on the title. In our commencement ceremony the featured speaker Sean Carrol told a story in which we learned that the person who Indiana Jones is based off of started his career mopping floors a museum. Carrol concluded the speech by telling us all to "Grab Our Mops!" Our careers have to start somewhere. This is where mine begins.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick! This is Robin!

    I like your title for this post. Wasn't that speech great? :-)

    Good luck with your grad school search. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think that "Statistics [would] show that teen pregnancy drops off significantly after age 19" but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete